Custom Search

Friday, February 6, 2009

Switch off those mains

Did you know that some electrical appliances still draw electricity even though it is switched off (but on stand-by with the little red LED light on)?

I found out this fact while watching National Geographic on global warming. Studies have shown that consumers are paying hundreds of dollars a year for these "vampire loads" which still uses electricity although the appliance is on stand by like TV, Hi-fi, DVD players and satelite reciever sets (or any appliances that can be put on stand-by).

Did you realise that some of these appliances still generates heat while on stand-by? Imagine the amount of electric power it still draws to generate such heat. Next time, feel around the household appliances like the indoor statelite receiver/converter console unit and see if they feel warm. If the do, I bet they are using electrical power unnecessarily and lots of it too to be able to generate that kind of heat.

So, since I saw that program, I switched off the appliances at the mains to avoid the "vampire loads" and I have noticed a reduction in the amount (charges) of my monthly electric bill. I used to pay about 30 something dollars a month. Now I am paying less than 30 dollars. Yeah, I know my electric bill is not much but hey I still manage to save. I will share in my future blogs about my energy saving practices so that you too can have an electric bill as low as mine

No comments: