Custom Search

Friday, February 6, 2009

Keep Em Rotated, Balanced and Aligned!

When I got my first car, I used to think that maintaining the car primary only involves the engine which upon the make of the car, you would change the oil and oil filter every 5K or 10K kilometers. I did not think much about the tyres. I would only go to tyre shop only if I had a flat to fix

Then I read the car owners manual and it recommended that the car tyres need to be rotated and serviced every 6K - 8K travelled. So I started to do regular mainatainence on the car tyres. What I experienced was that the tyre lasted about 2x longer. Meaning that I only had to change all the tyres about 70K instead of 40K mileage (in KMs). What happens is that when the tyres get regularly rotated, it wears out more evenly. When I did not rotate nor do the regular maintainence like wheel balancing and alignment, I found that the tyre would wear out more on one side than the other. And when I only replace one of the affected tyre, then the handling feels funky. So you see, it is a vicous cyckle if you do not rotate your tyres

Of course, I drove more sensibly like I do not speed and take a corner that it throwing the car off its center of gravity. Course if you do that, then it will wear out the tyres more along with the bearing and lubrcation. Furthermore, I will ensure enough air pressure in the tyre on my every alternate visit to the petrol station.

So if you can extend the tyre life by 2x then you are saving about 600 dollars every two years or so. The money you saved can be spent on replacing the battery which has about a 2 years life. Replacing the battery every 2 years or less is paramount to avoid your car to be unable to start and leaves you stranded and required you to call the mechanic to the site which will cost you more money

One important thing to note. never compromise safety by buying re-threads although the cost cheaper

No comments: